Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Sunday Date with Christopher Plummer

This past weekend my husband and I went to Stratford to see the Tempest - and Christopher Plummer!


We made a day of it, since Stratford is such a lovely old Victorian town. 


There was window shopping,


and a lovely pasta lunch at Fellini's,


and flowers to admire,


and more flowers to admire,


and still more flowers to admire in the gorgeous gardens around the Festival Theatre.  All the flowers are ones that are mentioned in Shakespeare's works.


Will Shakespeare was there,


as was Christopher Plummer -


yep he was there larger than life.



Christopher Plummer (best known for his role as Captain Von Trapp in The Sound of Music) played an amazing Prospero to a sold-out audience.  His pacing was perfect - so controlled and clear.  The audience went crazy at the end with applause, and standing ovations, and loud bravos.

 

He signed copies of his memoir in the lobby after the performance.


He apologized for making us wait while he got all the slop off his face.  He also wanted to know if we had all bought copies of his book so he would be able to eat for the next month - isn't he the funny one!  We weren't the only ones waiting in the lobby to see him.


It was another lovely day in Stratford.


O brave new world, That has such people in't!




17 comments:

  1. Loved your comments about Christopher Plummer. We are off to see this in 2 weeks and can't wait! Evita was also a great show if you want to take another one in. Lovely picture of you by the poster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!
    I'm ashamed to say i have never been to Stratford. I always wanted to go and i have an aunt and cousins there as well! My huge regret not ever getting there!
    Loved your photos Grace!

    Pamela xo

    Oh i forgot to mention i love your knew profile photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those pictures are beautiful.

    I want to see a Christopher Plummer play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab photo of C Plummer. You would think he had posed specially for you. We went to Stratford many years ago. You've whetted my appetite now - we shall have to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful day!... love the grounds also...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really sounds and looks like you have a wonderful day in Stratford. Thank you for sharing this and your wonderful photos. It's always exciting to hear what people have to say.
    Aaron Kropf
    Social and Online Media Coordinator
    Stratford Shakespeare Festival

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stratford. i'm hoping hubby and i will get there to see a play this summer. I love your flower pictures and the shutters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been to Stratford several times ~ but really got on to say that I loved your dress and sweater. Fun date.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat! I love theater...and seeing Christopher Plummer....wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Plummer in the Sound of Music. It's hard for me to believe that he is that old, but what a great actor! Lucky you! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your kind comments everyone. I have to say if any of you get a chance to see the Tempest, you really should. Not only is Christopher Plummer amazing as Prospero, but Ariel is a delight. She is tiny and moves just like you would expect her to - smooth and airily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like it was a wonderful date! I love the picture of Mr. Plummer signing his book- those socks and drivers are so sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great experience to see Christopher Plummer live on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad I found your lovely blog. I look forward to following along with you on all of life's many adventures!
    Smiles...
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lucky are you! Sounds like it was an amazing trip! I love when you share experiences like these -- they certainly will not be forgotten. What an amazing, talented man...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Happened across your photos and realized that you attended the same performance we did! Spotted my wife, daughter and myself in the picture of the line waiting to meet Mr. Plummer! He was so gracious and patiently posed for a photo with my daughter. A wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Richard, that is too funny that I happened to catch your family in my photo. It was a wonderful performance, wasn't it? I don't think there will be a better Prospero - he nailed it!

    ReplyDelete