Monday, May 14, 2012

Let There Be Light - in the Bedroom

I'm in the process of decorating our bedroom - and by in the process I mean that I have been at it for five years. Yep, I'm nothing if I'm not thoughtful and methodical ... okay maybe I'm just slow!  The truth is that I got interrupted by having to fix up another bedroom for an exchange student, entertain said exchange student, then I was sick for a bit, and then I got sidetracked onto fixing up other parts of the house ... and next thing you know five years had passed.


But all that is about to change because at the end of the week my husband Jonathan is going away for three weeks to do some research in Edinburgh, which means I am going to take this opportunity to finish the bedroom makeover.  


So far I have only painted the accent wall, hung drapes, and painted and organized the walk-in closet.  I have lots to do in the three weeks Jonathan will be away.  I'm going to:
  • paint the rest of the walls
  • fix the drapes as the rod is coming out of the wall and the drapes were hemmed too short
  • get better storage for husband's papers and books 
  • replace the ceiling light
It is this last thing that I need some help with.  Right now we have a terrible, horrible, no good builder's ceiling light and we need to replace it.  The only problem is that I have no idea what to put there instead.  I've had a look around the internet for some inspiration so I thought I would share my very important research.  By the way, have you noticed how difficult it is to find pictures of bedroom ceiling lights as so often the pictures are cropped so they don't show.  Here are the ones I have found.

There are drum shades,


House and Home via the Lennoxx.com

Candice Olson via HGTV
decor*pad
Style at Home via Echoes of Laughter

chandeliers,

Sarah Richardson via The Globe and Mail (you can read the complete article written by Sarah here)

Sarah Richardson
capiz lights,
star lights,


High Street Market
Style at Home

modern pendant lights,


decor*pad
Four Walls and a Roof


lanterns,


The Lennoxx.com
bookmarks bedroom


and unique statement lights.

Sarah Richardson
Sarah Richardson 

What kind of ceiling light do you have in your bedroom?  Do you have a particular favourite?  By the way, I'll show more pictures of our bedroom later (I'm working up to it), but here is a picture of our bed so you can see the general flavour of our bedroom.



5 comments:

  1. Hi Grace - I really like the lantern with a glass shade and hope to use one like that when I redecorate my Mum's bedroom. My bedroom does not have high ceilings so I have purchased track lights with glass shades that look like ice cubes. Hope to start the redecorating soon. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace I would like to see something unique, love the star shapes and the quatrefoil design. It really is what speaks to you though!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently I have a ceiling fan, but love the drum lighting. You have given me a whole new appreciation for them. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I adore the lantern in 'The Lennoxx' image. Thanks ever so much for sharing. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great inspiration photos. I love chandeliers and the more traditional lanterns like the Lennox room one. I am really surprised, but after seeing the inspiration photos I am finding the drum shades very attractive. We have the often criticized ceiling light/fan combo, a big one with 3 glass shades and white and shiny brass. Yeah. A gift from my sister and bil when we bought our home 13 years ago.
    Most of our rooms are a work in progress, and our bedroom is no exception. These past few weeks I managed to paint all the baseboard and window trim (after painting the room 3 or more years ago-yikes!) and bought and hung 3 new wood blinds in our bedroom. I can hardly wait for summer vacation to get my dressers painted.

    ReplyDelete