Monday, August 20, 2012

Blueberry Muffins

We had blueberries that needed to be used up - a difficult problem, I know - so we made blueberry muffins.  We actually made two slightly different recipes ... a blueberry muffin duel of sorts.  I've included the recipe for both as they were equally delicious.  I guess that would mean our duel ended in a draw.

The first recipe included oatmeal and was delicious.  Definitely not an overly sweet muffin so they would be great for breakfast.  You could also sprinkle sugar on top of them like we did for the second recipe - it adds a nice crunch.


OATMEAL BLUEBERRY MUFFINS (from allrecipes)
Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (we used whole wheat)
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and drained

  • Directions
  1. Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 
  2. Mix in milk, egg, and oil; 
  3. Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. 
  4. Fold in blueberries. 
  5. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
  6. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.


The second recipe is more of a classic blueberry muffin.  I like to do all my baking with whole wheat flour so I'm sure my muffins are a little heavier than if we had used all-purpose flour, but I prefer the health benefits of whole wheat.  We still somehow managed to eat all the muffins!

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS (from Canadian Living)

Ingredients
2 cups flour (we used whole wheat)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Preparation
1. In bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. 
2. In separate bowl, cream butter with sugar; beat in eggs one at a time. 
3. Gradually stir in milk (mixture may appear curdled). 
4. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients; pour in liquid and stir just until moistened. 
5. Gently fold in blueberries.
6. Spoon into large paper-lined or well-greased muffin cups, filling to top. 
7. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch.



Do you have a tried-and-true blueberry muffin recipe?  I'm always trying different ones and don't have an all-time favourite.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Love the addition of the oatmeal. I will admit, and I'm a little embarrassed, that the last few times I've made muffins I have used a box mix. I now have frozen zucchini though so hope to make fresh muffins with that. Great inspiration and the photos with the blue transferware are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good - might just try this with the blackberries I picked today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will try the first recipe. I love anything with oatmeal in it!

    ReplyDelete