Wednesday, January 22, 2014

7 in 14

Is it too late for New Year's resolutions?  And by resolutions I really mean goals.  I love taking stock of where things are and deciding on some projects and plans for the upcoming year.  It keeps me focused, motivates me to get things done, and helps me reset my priorities.  I feel like I'm only just now coming up for air and getting my brain organized so, late or not, here are my goals for 2014.  I'm keeping it simple this year and only setting myself seven goals.  

1.  Keep the stairs clear of clutter.  See what I mean about keeping the goals simple.  I think this should be doable.  I have such a bad habit of putting things that need to go up or down on the stairs.  Not only is it a tripping hazard, but boy does it look messy when you come in the front door as that is the first thing you see.  I've decided that climbing the stairs to take each item to where it belongs should be part of my exercise regime. I actually started this goal back at the beginning of January and I have kept it up for three whole weeks.  Yay me!


Vineet Kaur

2.  Bake bread.  I've wanted to bake bread for years and never had the time, so why not do it this year.  My husband questioned the logic of waiting until all our hungry children were gone before finally taking the plunge and baking bread.  Yep, we will just have to suffer through all those calories and carbs.  Oh, and I don't mean that I want to bake all the bread we eat this year - no no no - just one loaf ... a good loaf!  I will be happy to say I've done it and then bake the occasional loaf when I feel like it.

3.  Paint a large-size picture.  I started painting last summer and have completed quite a few little paintings over the fall and early winter, but now I would like to try a big canvas - something say 2x3 feet in size.  I want to see how it feels to paint a large surface.

4.  Go on a trip.  I haven't been away to on an extended trip to a place unknown for the past two summers, so I'm really keen to go away this year.  I find exploring new places rejuvenates me.  I have in mind to go to Ireland, but we shall see.  If not Ireland, then some place else I haven't been before.


National Geographic

5.  Paint the dining chairs navy.  I painted the bankers chair in the adjoining family room the perfect shade of blue  (see post hereand I want to use the rest of the paint on the dining chairs.  Right now they are black and are just crying out to be painted the most divine shade of blue.  Not only will they look hip and cool since navy is the new black, but they will also look great with the gray dining table legs.

6.  Make a light box for indoor photography. I struggle with taking photos of food and I know that lighting, especially in the dark winter months, is a problem.  By the time the food is cooked for dinner it is dark and I am usually rushing around trying to get a few shots so we can sit down and eat.  I need to stream-line my photo-taking process and improve the lighting.

7.  Learn to use my camera.  (Hang my head in shame)  This goal has been on my list for about three years now. I even have a new camera and never learned to properly use the old one. Anyway it is still something I need to do.  I'm going to watch the DVD that came with the camera and learn to take photos off the auto setting.

That doesn't look too daunting does it?  I like looking back at the end of the year and seeing what things get done and what don't.  Only time will tell if I get all seven accomplished.  Are you a goal setter?  Did you make a list this year?  I would love to know what kinds of things you included.

6 comments:

  1. These all sound like great goals! I want to travel too, hopefully to Scotland. And I don't make resolutions, but I do sort of create goals in my head...if that makes sense?!

    xo Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is never to late to make resolutions.
    I'd love to paint a large picture too...the canvas size is a bit daunting but once we decide the paint will flow! I should find a better place with bright lighting to take pictures for my blog....perhaps somewhere tropical?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All attainable goals. The very best of luck with all of them. I laughed at your stairway goal. I am guilty of putting something on the stairs to take up the next time I go...and then totally ignoring it when I finally do go up. How lame is that? Hope you get to go to Ireland. Sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you would like a lovely, easy recipe for bread that makes 4 loaves (think freezer!!) at a time, check it out here: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/?s=english+muffin+bread&Submit=GO
    This has become an addiction for one of my daughters!! My favorite bread for toast, french toast and grilled cheese!!! Super easy too. Easily divided in half for only 2 loaves. Your goals for the year sound reasonable and well within you reach - always lovely to be successful and reach our goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals and I totally can relate to numbers one and seven. Wishing you a great, and snowy, weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic goals, Grace. We've been talking about taking a trip to Ireland. :D

    ReplyDelete